Tuesday, October 04, 2005

MADE (JOSEPH) - Family Feud


I ended an earlier blog -CERTAIN PEOPLE- that God is able to make all things work together for our good [Romans 8:28]. While we may feel that we are stumbling through life, we must know that God is still very much in control. Today, we will see the reason behind the animosity that Joseph’s brothers had against him and how it might even appear that God had set him up for ‘sale’.

From the verses in Genesis below we find that:
  • Leah had 6 sons and a daughter before Rachel had her first son – Joseph [30:vs. 20-25];

  • Joseph was an answer to prayer [30:22]

  • Joseph was born into a family of intense in-fighting and conflict and his birth ‘vindicated’ his mother [30:1,23,24]

  • After the birth of Joseph, Jacob prospered exceedingly [30:25 – 32, 43]

  • The only other son [Benjamin] of Rachel was the cause of their mother’s death [35:18]

What am I proposing here? A divinely planned family feud!! The delay in child birth was all God’s plan of making sure Joseph was sent out to go to Egypt; with the mother of Joseph and Benjamin dead, Jacob would have been very protective; Also the birth of Joseph set off a time that transitioned Jacob from a wage earner to the big leagues –the bible described him as being ‘exceedingly prosperous’; Joseph must have stolen the spotlight at every time Jacob was asked how he came about his wealth. I can almost hear him “It was right after Joseph was born …” This only made an already bad situation worse, which resulted in the events that took place in Genesis 37 [18Now when they saw him afar off, even before he came near them, they conspired against him to kill him.], talk about bad blood!!

Was he setup for a sale? Absolutely!! In an earlier blog - CERTAIN PEOPLE - we learned that ‘going forward’ God is able to make all things in our past work together for our good, today we realize that ‘looking back’ he may have planned it all to begin with!!

Prayer:
Dear God, I realize that you are almighty and that you have a purpose for my life, give me the strength to focus on You and your will for me no matter what comes my way. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

Genesis 30:1
1 When Rachel saw that she was not bearing Jacob any children, she became jealous of her sister. So she said to Jacob, "Give me children, or I'll die!"

Genesis 30: 20-43
20 Then Leah said, "God has presented me with a precious gift. This time my husband will treat me with honor, because I have borne him six sons." So she named him Zebulun. 21 Some time later she gave birth to a daughter and named her Dinah. 22 Then God remembered Rachel; he listened to her and opened her womb. 23 She became pregnant and gave birth to a son and said, "God has taken away my disgrace." 24 She named him Joseph, and said, "May the LORD add to me another son." Jacob's Flocks Increase 25 After Rachel gave birth to Joseph, Jacob said to Laban, "Send me on my way so I can go back to my own homeland. 26 Give me my wives and children, for whom I have served you, and I will be on my way. You know how much work I've done for you."
27 But Laban said to him, "If I have found favor in your eyes, please stay. I have learned by divination that [9] the LORD has blessed me because of you." 28 He added, "Name your wages, and I will pay them." 29 Jacob said to him, "You know how I have worked for you and how your livestock has fared under my care. 30 The little you had before I came has increased greatly, and the LORD has blessed you wherever I have been. But now, when may I do something for my own household?" 31 "What shall I give you?" he asked. "Don't give me anything," Jacob replied. "But if you will do this one thing for me, I will go on tending your flocks and watching over them: 32 Let me go through all your flocks today and remove from them every speckled or spotted sheep, every dark-colored lamb and every spotted or speckled goat. They will be my wages. …. 43 In this way the man [Jacob] grew exceedingly prosperous and came to own large flocks, and maidservants and menservants, and camels and donkeys.

Genesis 35:16- 19
16 Then they moved on from Bethel. While they were still some distance from Ephrath, Rachel began to give birth and had great difficulty. 17 And as she was having great difficulty in childbirth, the midwife said to her, "Don't be afraid, for you have another son." 18 As she breathed her last-for she was dying-she named her son Ben-Oni. [8] But his father named him Benjamin. [9] 19 So Rachel died and was buried on the way to Ephrath (that is, Bethlehem).
    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home